Song Sparrow Foraging

Song Sparrow Posing

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

While I was at our local pond Friday, I got to watch a couple of these foraging on the lily pads for small larvae. There was also a Red-winged Blackbird foraging on them. The backgrounds become pretty problematic as these are mostly still last year’s pads and they’re pretty ugly in places plus at low angles you get some pretty severe reflections off them.

Specific Feedback

There was a lot of cleaning up of the water in the second image-does it show too badly? Also, comments on the compositions in both images would be welcome.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod, f/9, 1/500, iso 2500, manual exposure (1st image); f/9, 1/500, iso 4000 in the second image. The first image is cropped to 4583x3355, the second to 6060x4116.

Very nice, with lovely detail! I prefer the second, with the bird looking at me and the very unusual and delightful environment. That’s quite a perch!

I assume you’ve done what you can to subdue the brightness of the lily pads, but if possible I think more would be good. The one behind the tail could be removed, if you’re as crazy as I am. The highlight on the edge of the pad exiting the right edge could be softened with low-opacity cloning, for a warmup.

As usual very good detail in the bird. I like the composition of the first and the low angle. Great perch in the second and a nice composition as well. I would agree with Diane about seeing if the lily pad in the back could be removed.

I like both of these images Dennis with the second being my favorite. Water looks good to me except for the spot in second image on middle right edge on the same level as the tail. Looks like a cloning artifact. I agree with removing the lily pad in rear or at least burning it down significantly. Nice catches!

Hmmm…I like both equally. Both interesting stories and compositions. The first one might benefit from the bird being a tiny bit brighter if possible. Well done!