Sora

I was looking for images for the weekly challenge and came across this one from 2017 that I’d never processed.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I darkened some brighter elements in the surroundings and cloned over an odd bright blob in the upper right. Did I leave too many signs of it?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 374 mm, hand held, probably lying on my stomach on the boardwalk, f/8, 1/400, iso 800, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4746x3390. Taken April 12th, 2017 at Padre Island, Texas.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I’ve never seen a sora in person, so kudos for even finding one! Feather detail is great, and I do like the surrounding, somewhat busy, environment. It fits this bird especially well. I also like the comp. and partial reflection, though, I assume you didn’t have any additional room below? I think I can see the clone work in the URC, but if you hadn’t mentioned it, I’d never have noticed. I do find the frayed stump on the left side of the frame a bit distracting.

Hi Dennis
Lyle has better eyes than I do (did not see the cloning in the URC). I also had to look up Sora, my book didn’t list. Nice photograph. Detail and coloring are very good and the setting work.
Peter

So glad that you went back and found this image, Dennis. Great capture, with wonderful details. He looks natural in his environment. Great capture.

Ditto what Shirley said. :slight_smile: I’m not seeing any evidence of the cleanup.

Nice Dennis. Really fine selective focus on the head. A great find - I’ve only seen them here in Memphis on one occasion. I think I see what Lyle is mentioning but it is very faint.

It’s nice to see one out in the open, let alone get a nice photo. Excellent environment shot of where one typically sees one. Good detail in the Sora. I’ve seen three; the last one gave me a nice photo of its tail feathers.

I rarely see these guys out in the open and they are always in what I would call messy areas so it’s very hard to get good clean images of the surroundings. I find the bent over reed a little bit distracting but this really show the typical environment that these guys are in so not much you can do about that. Great sharpness on the head. My eye is not drawn to the URC so I don’t see the cloning job so good work.

Nicely done Dennis. I have seen a couple just by luck. From my experience they are busy secretive little birds quickly and quietly moving thru these rotting wet vegetation areas. Nice focus and I like that little catch light in the eye. I don’t see any clone marks but that could be eye sight also.