Southern Bald Ibis - Captive

I took this photo at the Bronx Zoo. It wasn’t until I was looking at it at home that I noticed that the bird had a strangely dignified look to it.

Canon 7D Mark II, Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-f5.6
1/60 s, f/5.6, ISO 640 Handheld

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

5 Likes

A beautiful portrait, Marc. I really like the lighting and eye contact. An interesting looking bird as well with that vulture collar and bare head and yet a shorebird beak. Thanks for posting this.

1 Like

A great studio-quality portrait, with a wonderful BG! Only one small idea – would be nice to have a little more canvas on the right, and this is one where you could crop in from the left just a little if you so desired. Maybe a bit off the top, too. It could hang on a wall with the paintings of the ancestors!

Thanks Diane! I’ll fiddle with the crop a little. Unfortunately, I don’t think I can expand on the right. :grinning:

If you are so inclined, expanding the canvas and using content-aware fill would work very well here. Or do it in one step with content-aware crop. At any rate, I now see I should have included a more precise idea – if I were to crop from the top I would replicate the darkened area/shape there – the darker gradient from the head to the top of the frame is a very nice feature that subtly frames the head.

Thanks again Diane! At this time, the only editing software I really know how to use is Lightroom :grimacing: which I don’t believe allows for these type of adjustments. I am in the process of learning Photoshop Elements though, so hopefully in the near future I’ll be able to try the changes you suggested.

LR is a wonderful place to start! PSE should be a good expansion to allow further tweaks. Enjoy the journey!

In the meantime, this would make a great B/W! It really is humorously suggestive of a classical portrait.

Just found this image - only on the site for a week.
Great image I think Diane’s crop suggestions are good.
Thanks

[quote=“Marc Brawer, post:1, topic:17714, username:Marc_Brawer”]

I took this photo at the Bronx Zoo. It wasn’t until I was looking at it at home that I noticed that the bird had a strangely dignified look to it.

Canon 7D Mark II, Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-f5.6
1/60 s, f/5.6, ISO 640 Handheld

[/quote].

Beautiful image. You’re right very distinguished haha. Reminds me of an old portrait painting. I like your image the way it is its hard to find feedback.