Spider Frost

Two mornings ago we had some predawn fog that put a very heavy coating of dew on everything. The spiders had been very busy the night before and all the mown areas in front of the house were coated with spider webs. My wife saw it on her walk and told me to go out with my camera. This is from a swatch of the prairie that we mow as a firebreak along the front fence.

I was debating with myself where to post something like this when I realized that it is absolutely perfect for this category. The substrate of mown prairie is created by man and the frosting by spiders and a bit of dew.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon 5DIII, EF 180 f/3.5 macro, tripod and ball head, 24 image stack at f/22, 1/800, iso 800. Probably not the ideal lens for the operation, but it was on the camera and it sounded like an ephemeral opportunity. Stacking in Helicon Focus, follow up processing in LR & PS CC. Taken at 6:51 am on May 27th.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Great looking webbing and light. I would be inclined to take it more abstract and crop/clone the tree and crop the darker bottom.

Very cool! It really took me a while to figure out what was going on until I read your description. That’s the making of a good abstract. With respect to Harley’s comment on the tree; he suggested that you crop it out, I feel it helps one determine the size and the environment. But I could go either way. I’m really surprised that you had this type of weather condition at your place.

@David_Schoen We get lots of fog, David, but it usually doesn’t go away so early and the rising sun was at a perfect angle-facing me but just enough off to the right to avoid problems.

Cool shot Dennis. Must be a lot of spiders there. A unique scene well captured.