Spiderwort buds

I haven’t been active here lately. Both work and home have gotten very busy that I am getting behind on reviewing and processing the images I am making.
This image was made a month ago. Spiderworts were just beginning to open up and bloom. I love photographing spiderworts. Their deep colors and the arrangement of leaves and buds allow for several compositions, with almost geometric lines.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7DII + 180/3.5 + Tripod
f/11, 1/100, ISO 800
ACR for RAW, PSCC

1 Like

This is a lovely image, Ravi! I love the little dew drop on the leaf too and the soft background. You really captured it beautifully!

Grace and balance are the first things that come to mind. Handling the intensity of the purple color is tricky and this looks terrific. The green in the stem and leaves looks natural, too. The raindrop is a bonus and…is that a little spider debris there on the bottom? Fitting!

Totally understood about life…glad you can make it here from time to time. I really appreciate your contribution.

Spiderworts are tough to compose in a photo. The center comp works for this one along with the water drop off to the left. The soft BG with some variation enhances comp too. Well done…Jim

Lovely, with wonderful detail! All said above.

I wonder if you have an alternate version that includes the tip of the leaf on the left? The subtle flow of the buds in that direction might make its inclusion interesting.

Wonderful. @Jim_Zablotny is right on track commenting on how difficult it is to photograph these plants. The flowers are amazing close-up, but the long arching leaves are an architectural character that begs to be a part of the image. You found a middle ground.

Namaste

Nice composition. I’ve never thought of taking just the buds, always go for the flowers. Very invasive here in my garden, but does provide color. Keep transplanting into the wood line hoping it will brighten that landscape. Excellent image.

I find this very elegant but wonder if this is a case where centering the subject might make a strong image.