splash of blue

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Caught this while waiting for an eagle to leave its perch. Super calm day with the sun at the right spot for a reflection. of the sky.

Specific Feedback

I appreciate and am open to any feedback. one small question on composition would be the reeds near the slash, and if they add clutter. I like them there but my composition skills are still developing.

Technical Details

Nikon z6ii, 400mm z @ f5.6, 1/2000, ISO 140.

Hello K Wol. I like most of the reeds where they are , though there’s a stray tip entering the frame from the left just above the rest and I’d eliminate that. If you have the image quality, you might look at a tighter crop, eliminating the far bank and pulling in a bit from the right. I love the splash and the disturbance circle behind the gull. To my eye, the blue feels a bit too intense. The only place I’ve seen that kind of blue in the water is Crater Lake.

A fun, energetic moment! Great presence of mind to catch it with your attention elsewhere. I didn’t touch the blue, but I did crop and do some cloning to keep our eyes on that bird! Hope you like it -

I like @Kris_Smith crop, but when the shoreline goes away and the bird and reflection are larger in the frame, it looks as if it needs re-leveling a bit. The long axis of the ellipse from the water disturbance should make a great leveling reference in this one.