Spotlit sand dune - "Epic intimate"? +repost

After reading @Alex_Noriega’s article on “The Power of the Intimate Composition” I thought this one fit the description of “epic intimate” pretty well. It’s zoomed in and mysterious, but still has “epic” light.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any. I am pretty happy with this image so I’m not looking for anything in particular, but am always open to any comments and critiques!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
ISO 100, 600mm, f/11, 1/50 sec

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@brentgoesoutsidephoto

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Repost after suggestions:

10 Likes

Saw you post this in IG and i was in such awe. I freaking love this shot! Love the contrast of the cool blue shadows and orange dunes. Nothing much else to say other then that I enjoyed listening to that podcast this morning you were on! Great work man!

I can see why you are happy with this one. It is absolutely beautiful!! Great lines, stellar light. Yowzer!

You already know that I think this is just stellar. I really can’t think of anything else that would improve it.

Spectacular comes to mind.

Amazing capture Brent. If anything I would reduce the saturation of the light hitting the dune just a tad but is a personal preference thing.

Wow, what magic that spotlighting can do to a dune! I’m a huge fan of GSDNP, been there several times, and I love shooting there with long glass, but never lucky enough to catch such a moment. Terrific image!

Brent,

Every once in a while - and certainly frequently enough here on NPN… we are blessed with an image where I’ve run out of adjectives to use. No words can adequately describe this. For me, this is simply one of those “moments” you will cherish and remember forever. “Epic” certainly, but just another word.

Ok, so I’m a believer that most all images can be improved, even “epic” images can be tweaked to become “for all time…” Very minor, picky things… but one, I would clone out the sprig of vegetation in the LRC close to the edge. The only other suggestion would be to burn down the slope in the foreground - maybe not to the point of the upper bg, but just making it a little darker and a little more contrasty to kind of hold in, or more firmly frame the dune and spectacular light. Hope you see what I mean. Not sure you could improve on this one, but what the heck, easy to be a back seat driver…

Lon

Really well done Brent. I don’t see what Lon is talking about regarding the vegetation in the LRC, unless you already cloned it. Its just a beautiful piece of art.

DOH! LLC - lower left corner there is some vegetation sticking up.

Man, my age-dyslexia is showing up

Oh that one, yeah now that I see it, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Beautifully done! The light is astounding. I do agree with Lon regarding a little burning and cloning that bit of vegetation. Aside from those two very minor items, this looks great!
-P

All has been said above. It’s a beautiful image, Brent. The spotlit peak is spectacular when set against the cooler dunes in the background. I don’t mind the vegetation on the LL corner although I do wish it doesn’t exit with higher luminosity than when it enters on the right hand side; but that’s really nitpicking.

I didn’t see it before, but viewing in the lightbox, the middle of the foreground shadow layer is indeed a bit brighter and could be dimmed to match the top, LLC, and LRC. And that little twig of lit vegetation in the LLC could go for sure, good suggestions from Lon! This thing is gonna be PERFECT.

Your image is truly stunning Brent. It has such wonderful lines and sublime light.

Nice work mate. I hope you print this one in large format!

Brent: Spectacular!! It deserves a prominent place on your wall. Richard

Very cool image Brent!.
The description mentions a focal length of 600mm.
Just curious, where you lugging a 600mm lens all over Death Valley to take this image?

Wow, thank you all so much for the kind words! This is one of my favorites so it’s gratifying to see that others enjoy it as well, especially some of you tough customers :smiley:

@Lon_Overacker / @Alex_Noriega you’re so right. I usually edit my images against a 50% gray background and barely noticed the bottom shadow being uneven, but when I switched it to black it was way more apparent. I posted the new edit in the original comment.

@arjen Yes, I was lugging a 150-600mm lens all over Death Valley in addition to a body, two other lenses, tons of snacks and water, and a big tripod :slight_smile: I just love telephoto landscapes so much it’s worth carrying around for me.

1 Like