Spring Chaos + Rework

REWORK (different crop and processing; I think it feels more spring-like and I like the softer look):

ORIGINAL:

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I always love the ambiguity of these types of images (reflections) and the general aesthetic appeal for me. I’m not sure about the color in the ULC. It didn’t have the same hue and pops of green leaves as the central part of the frame. I tried to adjust it, but I’m not sure I succeeded.

Creative direction

My preference for these kinds of reflections is to have a certain softness - not totally low contrast, but not in-your-face elements, either.

Specific Feedback

Feedback on aesthetic and technical issues, especially colors.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-04-08 at 10.45.13 AM

Description

Not much story to tell - made this on a walk along the local river trail, at a small pond. A light breeze made for nice ripples and a cool reflection of the chaotic brush along the bank.

1 Like

Bonnie,

This is wonderful! So many impressions from this - First, like a microscopic closeup of some rough cloth like burlap or canvase - with some fresh colors strewn about… But also a network of nerves, pathways of even an ancient city map… I dunno, but sure fun trying to imagine what this is. I think the greens really add here.

I appreciate you keeping the colors and contrast less bold in these natural reflections that you have an uncanny knack of finding!

The only suggestion if have would be tightening up the crop (go figure…) For one thing, that takes care of the ULC you already are questioning; and actually the entire top edge is a little “softer” and with no greens. The top isn’t a distraction at all, but thinking about consistent texture, patterns, color, contrast. Which also goes to the bottom of the frame. The ripples are more defined at the bottom and also less consistent with the center part of the frame. The good news with these natural abstracts is that there are endless crops and alternate views. I think about an 85% SQ crop of the center area would work as an alternate.

I keep looking at this asking myself, how in the heck did she find and then see this? Awesome!

Lon

Hi Bonnie, I enjoyed the subtle earthy colors and the splashes of green throughout the frame. The white twisty lines really add a lot of interest to the image. They help create a mosaic pattern. I’m not too bothered by the empty space in the ULC. You could tighten up the crop as Lon suggested. I admire your creative eye for spotting these reflections. Nicely done!

Thank you @Lon_Overacker and @Alfredo_Mora. :blush:

LOL. This was already cropped and I tried to deal with the ULC a bit. I went back, though, and tried a different crop and processing. I think I like the rework better, so thanks for the push to look at it again (even though I kept the little ripples at the bottom - I can’t bear to crop them out - ha ha).

That’s good to know - thanks!

I just find something that I think might be interesting, point and click. Reflections are inherently experimental I think. We don’t really see something like this - only the camera does. We can only see it after the fact, then do with it what we will. :slight_smile:

P. S. I’m listening (for the 2nd time) to Alfredo’s interview on F-Stop with Matt P. His advice to “Explore, Play, & Experiment” is the ticket!

Hi Bonnie, well your rework certainly softened the whole image, which adds to this Spring-like, chaotic image. Love the soft, pastel colors you’ve captured and the faint ripples along the bottom are a bonus. The colors in the ULC are fairly consistent with the rest of the frame, to my eyes, so are not a cause for concern. Nicely seen, captured, and developed!

Hi Bonnie,
I love both versions of your vision (but if I had to choose one it should be the Rework for what you did with those white lines).
I am always amazed with everything you can “extract” from your images.

Thank you @Jim_Lockhart and @joaoquintela.