Spring Violet

What technical feedback would you like if any? All / any.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? all/ any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I wanted to focus solely on the violet, making the background fuzzy. These come up individually and I wanted to give the impression of lone individuals. I cropped the original slightly, to remove a bit of the top and left side. Thanks for any and all feed back. My plant photos were taken originally as a means to identify and remember the names and dates of bloom. Now it seems I need to be “artistic”!

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Mike, It looks like you got down nice and low for this shot, which is what we want to do when taking a photo of a flower or critter that is way down there. You did get the background out of focus, either via a long lens, (you didn’t mention the equipment or the settings, so I’m not sure), or the f-stop opened. This may not be an image for a magazine or anything, but we are all growing. And I believe that is what you are looking for here at this site, and normally you will get critiques that can help you. For this, an improvement might be to crop top and left some (especially to remove the out of focus white flower in the back left that has a tendency to pull the eye away from the subject), as well as a tiny bit from the bottom to remove the in focus leaves that takes away from the subject. It is things like that that we don’t always notice as photographers, when we view our own photos, so it is nice here to get advice of something that they see that we missed. You keep shooting, and posting, and I believe you will see improvements in your artistic side of photography. I know this site has really helped me. I still have some growing to do! I do find it interesting that you have been capturing photos of flowers to identify them. I think that is really great. I am really bad at identifying flowers and bugs, and I like shooting both, so you got an advantage there. I’m looking forward to seeing more of your work.