Springtime at Tarrywille

Description: I took this a few years ago at the end of a hike at the edge of a meadow. I had posted about 6 months ago when I first started on NPN when I wasn’t doing a lot of post processing.

Specific Feedback Requested: does the crop and process look ok, anything else

Pertinent technical details or techniques: I had just learned about ICM and thought I needed a fast shutter speed and to move the camera really fast and I like what came out, Nikon D3400, 1/2000, ISO 200, 300mm, f6.3

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) no
DSC-0130-01

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

IG apani.hill

This is changing for one after looking a couple of times. The tenebrous mood is intriguing. It takes the image beyond one of representation into a realm of growing darkness.

My suggestion would be to give the image more space on the right side and less on the left. Let the in-focus elements lean toward a larger out-of-focus space, a slice of the unknown.

Well done.

Hi @paul_g_wiegman , thanks for looking and your feedback, I’m attaching the original image that I posted almost 6 months ago when I was still new here. It might help to see what I was trying to crop out!..Late Spring Hike & repost (crop & sepia) for Bill F

@Vanessa_Hill Thanks for taking the time to post the original image.

Frankly, I like the original, even with the out-of-focus yellow splashes. Lowering the exposure, giving a more muted feeling, would be lovely.

But, that’s my opinion. The opinion that counts is yours.

I’ve found that working with an image and then finding a way to seeing it daily is a great way to self-critique. Images that you like at first need to become something that you are comfortable with over time. If, after seeing a rendition and you find that you begin to tire of it, pull it back into the processing software and work some more.

Images that never get boring; put them in your archive file.

I keep a group of images in my Screen Saver folder. When the computer is resting, they are scrolling across the screen. After a while, some get pulled and either go back to the processing folders, go to the archives, or even get pitched.

Just a thought.

1 Like

I liked the original too, but it seemed like others didn’t like the yellow splotches! So I tried working with it.

Your are your own best judge of photographs. That’s not to say that everything you think if good during you early years making photographs, or any art for that matter, but the more work you do, the better you get at judging good images.

I listen to comments made, and take some to heart and let others go.

Every eye is different, every gaze unique. Your’s is the eye that counts.

1 Like