Starry Night

Swirling colorful patterns in a burnt-out log. Rainbow Rock Canyon. Whitewater Preserve. California.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I was drawn into this image simply by the patterns in the wood. So many swirling patterns, I made three images from this one spot on the log.

Technical Details

Canon EOS R
1/50 Sec, @ f 11
105mm, ISO 100

Dodging, burning, and color is done in lightroom.

5 Likes

Todd,

Wow! What a great find! Love this. Not only the swirls, but the golden/copper/bronze colors mixed in with the weathered grays.

I like the textures as well and can see just why you titled this one “Starry Night”.

My only feedback, suggestion is to deal with the large black chunk on the LL edge. A bit of an eye magnet; at least for me. Much less so the dark knot in the LR. I tried a CA-fill on the left, and perhaps a slight crop off bottom, a little off right would tighten this up a bit and elimitate the LR knot. But mostly the dark patch on the left. Not a deal breaker by any stretch, but a case where you can make an already great image, just a notch better.

Love this one.

Awesome find Todd! Fantastic swirling patterns and textures. I agree with Don about that dark spot on the left edge. Otherwise, I think the overall composition looks good.

An excellent job of seeing, Todd. The swirls and colors convey a strong sense of motion. I could see spending a lot of time trying various compositions, including rotating the camera. I don’t see the dark area along the left edge as a significant distraction, there’s too much going on elsewhere.

Very nice study in patterns and lines. The subtle bronze color is a nice contrast against the grays.

So cool Todd, and captured well. I like your composition which placed the horizontal lines on the bottom so they support the swirls, which have more energy in them. The colors look realistic and natural too; result of another CA fire. Yeah, the “black hole” is a little bother, but Nature is far from perfect.