Start of winter

Came across an area with some slightly flooded trees that had frozen fist followed by a dusting of snow. I liked the texture of the snow on the ice and the shapes of the tree trunks.

Specific Feedback Requested

Not sure on the balance of this image. I was thinking I could have shot a little bit wider and gave some more flexibility on image cropping. Shot at 105mm on a 24-105 f4. F11, 1/13, iso100.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Focus stacked image to increase depth of field. cleaned up a few small items poking into the top of the frame using content aware fill in photoshop.

How interesting - the texture of the ground is quite different. I would agree that a bit more room on the sides would have been good. What I find really interesting is the interplay of those angled, snow lines with the vertical lines of the trunks.

I think the composition is nicely balanced Bryan. I think the amount space you have on both the left and right of the center tree looks good. I also like the concept of having “texture on texture”, playing off the texture of the bark/lichen against the texture of the snow on the ice. This has a very interesting early winter look to it, very nicely done on your part.

My only nitpick would be to clone away the patch of white snow jutting out halfway down the right edge.

Fascinating image even without the ice. It’s a bit awkward and that’s what makes it interesting. By that I mean that the trunks at the top are too short and that creates visual tension which makes us stop. I think just a bit of space to the left of the ul trunk would be good.

1 Like

Really interesting, expressive image, and I quite like it as is. My only nitpick would be to echo what @Igor_Doncov said - I think the balance would be improved if the tree in the UL had a little more space to its left.

here’s the image with the removal of the white patch of snow on the right