Stay Safe!

Paper wasps had set up their home on a light bulb on the corridor. These LED bulbs do not radiate heat I guess.

Seeing a large insect, I got my camera, It was difficult light.
The Greater Banded Hornet ( Vespa tropica) was raiding the nest of the paper wasps. It was meticulously pulling out the larvae and eating them up one by one.
The paper wasps were not in a position to defend.
I was able to witness only the last part of the story.
6DII, Tamron 180, 1600ISO, 1/80, F16

Balan Vinod

1 Like

Balan, this to me is a very nice behavior image of both species of wasp. The details in the eyes of the all 3 is excellent. The light bulb makes this a high key image, which works well with the nest and the subjects. I’m not sure if there is anything that can dull the socket area of the bulb as well as around the surrounding area, it might improve the image even more. Not sure that it should go away entirely, as it helps the viewer know the what the scene is. Excellent shot.

1 Like

What an interesting story. It is a tough world out there. Well done on the shot under some pretty extreme conditions. I really like the sharp focus on the larvae. Shirley does offer an interesting suggestion about the socket and a bit of lightening may improve an already impressive image.

Wow, what an interesting shot! It’s immediately clear that this is not happening in a natural environment, even if you’d blur or clone the light bulb out of it, so I would just leave it as is and let it tell it’s story. Well done!
Grt, Ingrid.

Fascinating capture with superb detail, color, and story. I think you could probably selectively lighten up the thorax in post perhap half to full stop.

Hi Balan,

Very nice. You could try shadows and highlights to pull up a little details on the dark areas of the hornet. That would be a very minor tweak as it is a very strong image as presented…Jim

Balan, this is quite the shot, telling a fine story. While the natural part is completely fascinating, having it happen on a light bulb is amazing. The details show very well.

Balan: This is amazing behavior and a spectacular capture IMO. The light socket does vie for attention and simply cropping most of it improves an already terrific shot IMO. :+1: :+1:>=))>