Stellar Bath

We have quite a few Stellar’s Jays hanging out here right now, I managed to shoot one taking a bath (they usually only drink). This was my favorite capture. I like the motion going on in spite of its head being in shadow. I thought it was worth sharing for the “drama”.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does it work even with the unfortunate light on its face?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/1600th, f 8.0, 410mm, ISO 5000, AI Clear, cropped to 4973 x 3712

1 Like

Definitely worth sharing just for the fun of seeing this Stellar having so much fun, Dave. I think I have the same type of bird bath. Thanks for sharing the drama.

Great shake from this jay, Dave. I love the spray of drops.

A bird in a bath is ALWAYS worth posting, Dave. No matter the species of bird, when I see them bathing it always elicits a smile, if not a downright laugh from me. Good timing and a fun shot.

Yeah, Terry. I can hardly shoot bird bathers and remain steady for the laughing. They are very entertaining.

Totally fun!! I love it when birds bathe, then hop up on the rim to have a drink, then hop back in and start splashing again.

It’s great as is but you could bring some light onto the face with a quick mask with a soft-edged brush and use the selection to do a Curves or the like and lighten the face a bit. It’s always amazing how natural a softly feathered area can look.