Still Gazing

I believe one of my very first posts here was an image of this tree. After acquiring a faster lens, I took some of the advice I received here and went back and shot this again.

Specific Feedback Requested

any feedback

Technical Details

Canon EOS 6D Mark II
Rokinon AF 14mm f/2.8
ISO 6400 14mm f/2.8 30.0 sec

Lightroom

2 Likes

Hi Leon,

I can’t really give any technical feedback on images like this because my experience with them is very limited, but I can say that I really like it :slight_smile:
Wow, to get a sunrise or sunset exposed right…and capture the milky way at the same time is awesome IMHO.
Now I’m curious if this was facing SE or SW, Ha! :slight_smile:

I’m curious about the length of the exposure as well, was the scene much darker to the naked eye than what shows up in your image? It seems that with a wide open aperture on a wide angle lens with ISO at 6400, it had to be pretty dark.
As stated, I have no experience at this kind of work but I am interested, it’s very intriguing.

Don’t bother with any detailed explanations, please, that is probably way too much to ask for, I can dig in a do some studying (one of my favorite things to do BTW).

Beautiful work!

I believe this was a 30 second exsposure. The cool thing, at least to me, is that’s actually the moon setting. The higher in the sky it was, the more it was washing out the milkyway. I tried to find a ballance with the timing to squeeze all the elements in a single exsposure. The yellow glow is light pollution from the city on the other side of the lake.

1 Like

Wow, Leon
That is really cool, I didn’t consider it being the moon and that’s probably because we don’t get to see the moon or the sun directly on the horizon here in central NC.

Yeah, I get that because I’ve had issues with that myself.
However, part of that color and intensity could be from the moon light traveling though so much of the earth’s atmosphere, with the moon right on the horizon, the light has to travel through approximately 700 miles of atmosphere and the atmosphere filters out the blue light leaving it reddish orange or sometimes yellow depending on what’s in the local atmosphere.
We normally see the moon through roughly 70 or 80 miles of atmosphere so, quite a difference there.

The results were great in the image and in my mind, the color of the light and intensity helps to make the image strong and appealing!
Something I forgot to mention was the shape of the tree where it’s scalloped on the top right, it’s like the start of the milky way is nestled in that scallop, nice touch.
It’s all balanced very well in my opinion.

Thanks for the response!

Happy New Year.

brilliant image, Leon. Wow. Nothing to critique here except to sit back and enjoy the scene. Well done.

1 Like

The moon can be a tough object to capture becuase it is so bright. My only thought for you to consider, would be to dim the moon and the light polution as best you can. When I first viewed the image, I thought it was the sun. Composition is “stellar”, well done.

Wow!! Fantastic, in the best sense of the term! Wonderful vision to see the possibilities and great technique to pull it off!