Storm Front Appin

Appin, Argyll, Scotland.

Heavy rain obliterated the view I had of a group of trees at Appin almost concealing the snow covered mountains on the Ardnamurchan peninsula. There is it seems always light at the end of the tunnel and as the wave of rain began to clear sunlight swept in to frame the trees and envelop the mountain peaks.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm lens, 0.3ND Hard Grad, 3 stop ND Filter, f/13 at 5 seconds. ISO 200

Ian, I think you have processed this really well. What’s holding me back from loving the image is that I feel the shutter speed is neither fast enough nor slow enough for the clouds. I think I prefer either a smoother more wisp-like clouds or a more defined shape of them.

I like your composition for this one as the scene looks really balanced with the sliver of land on the left opposing the larger mountains on the right. I would agree with Adhika on the clouds though. It looks like there was some nice texture to be had with a faster shutter speed, I would prefer that or a much longer one to blur the clouds similar to the blur in the water.