Stormchase

Watching the storm light as I was driving home with my family at dinner time, I was quietly dying inside…it couldn’t have been a longer drive. I had just had clavicle surgery the week prior (biking accident), so couldn’t bear weight on my L. shoulder, but by the time this light show was going off, I told my wife I was going to run down to the beach and see if I could catch any shots. Well, I musta looked quite awkward running down to the beach a 1/4 mile along the boardwalk with my one shoulder holding the backpack and the tripod! Regardless, I quickly placed the tripod down, threw on my 14-24 f/2.8 and hoped for the best! This light lasted 3 minutes, and then went flat - dud light.

Life’s been a little nutty and parenting emerging adults during these crazy times has come with some carnage and cost - almost entirely on their part, but with collateral damage to all of us in the family trying to love and support them unconditionally while avoiding enabling behaviors that are harmful to them.

I’ve been moving away from “high drama scenes”, favoring more subtle forms of expression lately, but I have to say that this image does mean something to me and truly expresses how I feel.

Anyway, tried to keep the color pallette more in check and not go overboard. Please let me know any thoughts or recommendations.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
1/10; f/14, 14mm

jim_mcgovern_photography
1 Like

That is special light. Although I tend to compose my own seascapes with the water right up to the bottom edge, I think having the layer of sand work well in this image–its adds a layer and the pinks in the clouds go well with the browns in the wet sand.

Hey @Jim_McGovern, I can appreciate the story behind this. While my kiddo is at a much different phase of life 2 years old, and the challenges likely pale in comparison, I do find that this last year in particular has caused some new anxieties for sure. This picture to me represents the clearing storm, maybe the passing of one phase into another. I wonder how lightening the central portion of the image would look, especially in the clouds, although it may kill some of the bright point at the top of the lone cloud, it may add some interest to those clouds in the middle. If you wanted to get picky you could try cloning out some of the white streaks in the LRC…given the fact that you have a bum arm, this is pretty great!

This is a very emotional picture with a nice touch from your writing.

I sure love the drama here and the incoming wave (with the perfect shutter speed) sure accentuate the drama.

Nicely done.

Jim, the wide perspective really works here, light is a nice bonus. Love the story. Nice image.

Jim, I have to give you kudos simply for having the ability to play though your injuries.

The light is indeed special here, I enjoy a good high drama scene when it’s Mother Nature who has “turned up the volume” (as opposed to achieving it in post processing). This scene looks very natural and quite dramatic. Your processing of the light on the clouds is excellent.

I agree with @David_Wallace about the white streaks in the LRC, I could see some of them being cloned or cropped away. A small crop from the bottom to a more pano aspect ratio might even make the flowing water in the surf more dramatic too.

I love the warm/cool color contrast here, but I think this image also has some potential in B&W.

Jim, You capture quiet a moment here and thankfully made it there in time…even with your injury! I like this wide angle view and enjoy your processing on it as well. Those clouds are awesome!

The contrast of the single sunny cloud vs the entire rest of the image makes its point very effectively. I still think the surf and water could be raised a bit to make it less flat. And still make the point that you’re going for.

Thanks @DeanRoyer @David_Wallace @joaoquintela @Nick_Bristol and @Mario_Cornacchione for stopping by and commenting. @Ed_McGuirk - I like your comments and agree with your words about drama being more palatable when presented with it rather than creating it in post. I like your idea about a modest crop from the bottom as @DeanRoyer describes. As for B&W conversion, the thought occurred to me but I quickly dismissed it given the unusual color of the light in this scene. As you mention it, I may consider it more strongly - especially as a Red channel conversion.

@Igor_Doncov - you’ve touched on the one issue I wrestled with multiple times prior to presentation. I had initially left the sea foam brighter, but felt that it was too imbalanced, too bright and I remain ambivalent about how bright to allow this. Perhaps darkening the ocean a tad would help instead. Thanks for commenting!

Beautiful scene, Jim. The storm seems to match the feelings in the story of your life. It’s very dramatic and threatening looking but there is light and hope beyond that things will turn out better soon. I really love the composition and how the tide mimics the clouds. Very great capture. And I hope everything will be good for you and your family.

1 Like

WOW! Both for the image and your willingness to pursue it! Also for the story! I think your emerging adults will have had a lot of good background and examples. Best wishes on all fronts!

1 Like