Stormy Little Hunters Beach

There was not much in the way of color this particular morning on Little Hunters Beach in Acadia NP so I decided to convert to B&W. I actually think the B&W is more dramatic. The wind was really whipping so I had to wipe the front of the lens element between shots. I shot quite a few frames, but this one has the best wave action.

As always thanks for taking a moment and leaving a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 20 mm, f 18 @ 1/6 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

The texture on the water is gorgeous, Ed and I think this scene is very appropriate for B&W conversion. I notice that the shadows are a little bit heavy especially on the pine trees and the two rocks on the LR corner. I think Lifting up shadows selectively there will help to improve the image overall.

Adhika,
Thanks for taking the time for the C&C ; always appreciated. Here is a different version as I posted the wrong one originally; just did the same thing over in WC. :crazy_face:

I totally agree with you about the shadows and I think this will be closer to what you were thinking.

1 Like

I very much enjoy this. Lightening the shadows was an improvement to me.

I really like this Ed. The repost has just the right amount of detail in the shadows and the SS is just right to my eye. Great call on the B&W. Just a small nit though. Even my bad eyes can see at least 8 dust specs scattered throughout the sky.

Huge difference here, Ed. So much better now!

Thanks @Adhika_Lie: I thought this would be closer to what you were suggesting.
@Michael_Lowe: Thanks, glad you enjoyed the image. Try 15 dust spots! Guess I will blame it on a senior moment as I completely forgot to do the dust patrol. :crazy_face:

Here is a repost with them removed.

Hi Ed, I prefer the original as it has more depth, the boosted shadows makes it very low key. That said it’s up to what you like, not us.

Ed, the rework nails it for me. I like seeing more detail in Great Head. The wave action here came out gorgeous, and the B&W treatment is perfect for the waves against the dark rocks in the water.