Stream plays with light

This photo is from a recent hike on Mt. Paiko, Northern Greece, at July. The scene intrigued me right off the bat, but it was kind of chaotic, with lots of elements, plus hard light hitting the background… What caught my eye was that light that penetrated the tree cover and landed on the stream in the foreground, as if two studio lights were illuminating the scene … I kind of went back and fourth in post process, as I tried to come up with an image I liked. Took me some time, I eventually settled to this b&w version.

Fujifilm X-T4
Fujinon XF 16-80 @ 21mm/f8

Nikos, I think B&W is the right approach here. Plus the upper background being darker helps to keep my eye from focusing on the bit of chaos there. This is all about the “studio light” in nature. You positioned them well in the frame too. Well seen and well done.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback @David_Bostock … Yeah, I think that BW was the only way to go with this one.

This is certainly an interesting scene you’ve captured Nikos. The B&W conversion is perfect for this type of scene with those spot lights. The composition looks great but I’m wondering if there is more of the scene at the top since you have a white line going around the outside of the image but it’s cut off at the top. So, just wondering if there is more of the image or if this is it. Either way this works well for me and the spot light is actually lighting a rock in the water which adds a little bit of mystery to this.

1 Like