Stream

I found this photo to be very sensitive to cropping. I tried some other crops that I thought would work, and small changes seem to deflate the image.

In particular, any crop that doesn’t maintain the diagonal flow of the water seems to not work, as does any photo that doesn’t emphasize the “shoulder” in the upper left.

Suggestions welcome!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

I like the cool WB here, between the blue tones and the shutter speed used, it give the water a very metallic steel blue look. I agree with you about the shoulder in the ULC being important to the overall look of the image. I also like the curved line of the ice in the URC. My only nitpick is the large out of focus rock in the LLC, because it is out of focus I find it to be a bit of a distraction. You could try burning it down to lessen it’s impact, and or cropping it partly away. Here is a rework that reflects my comment.

Gaurav,

I like that you’ve isolated the glassy flow of the water and have it surrounded by the more turbulent elements.

You thought there might not be a crop that would work without losing the diagonal flow - well, I think Ed found it! His crop works very well for me. The only remaining nitpick I have is the intruding clump of ice in the LL that is just above what Ed cropped out. While not a deal-breaker, it’s one of those borderline cases where there’s not enough of the element to add to the image, yet enough of the element to distract.

I certainly like what you’ve seen here. Just wishing there weren’t those distractions in the LL.

Lon

@Lon_Overacker, @Ed_McGuirk, thank you for your comments.

That rock in the LLC is definitely an issue, thank you for bringing that up.

For me, it was a personal choice. I initially tried slice a bit off the bottom to reduce it, but then what happens is that the edge of the rock and the line of foam intersect right at the boundary of the photo. For some reason, I’m personally a bit more sensitive to that happening, even though it’s probably not a big deal at all, so I ended up keeping more of the rock.

Thank you especially for taking the trouble to download and edit the photo as part of your suggestions! Appreciate the help.