Struttin' His Stuff

There was a female Mourning Dove between me and this male when I took the photo and he was really showing off to her. I really liked the raised feathers along the back.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I just did a little cleanup on this one.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Should I do something about the bright green area in the pond?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony a6500, EF200-600 @ 200 mm, tripod and ball head with Sidekick mount, f/8, 1/500, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 5104x3584. Taken at 2:26 pm on May 28th under hazy skies. Shot from my permanent blind and baited with water.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Great detail in the feathers Dennis. Really like how you’ve caught her looking over her shoulder, nice pose. Not sure how to tone down the green, I’m sure others will have suggestions. Wonderful photo.

Nice detail and capturing the layering of the feathers. And I like the head turn. The green area in the pond does draw one’s eye, but my thought (before I read your question) was that the water adds another interesting element to the photo and I liked it. I suppose you could try to tone it down and see how it works

Hi Dennis,
Love the pose and the detail in the raised feathers is striking. The green in the water doesn’t really bother me but toning it down some may be worth a look.