Studio Salamander + RePost

What technical feedback would you like if any? This is a scientific or documentary photo and critique it as such.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Color/Lighting?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 200mm f4 + polarizer (1/60 sec. art f16, Iso 800, Light tent with 3 flashes.One flash was placed below the animal and projected through a semi-opaque piece of white plexiglass. Shadows & Highlights, Levels, + adjustment to cyan, Brightness & Contrast., Rubber stamp tools for debris removal. While digging potatoes on a hot, miserable day, I uncovered a tiny blue-spotted salamander that was burrowing through the garden. It was so dry that I placed it in a jar with moist paper towels and left the jar in our refrigerator which is a perfect spot for a dehydrated salamander. An hour letter, I setup the studio for the shot and finished the process in 10 minutes. The salamander was returned to the garden later that evening as a thunderstorm was moving through the area…Jim

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What a great shot, Jim. I am sure he appreciated the moisture and the cool down, a nice break from the hot garden. The technique you used with this all white tent reminds me of Joel Satori’s Photo Ark project. I’m seen a few more spots around on the white background near the tail end of him. Otherwise, this is a really nice capture. Worth the time and effort you put into it.

1 Like

Thank you Shirley–I found the few spots and was able to remove them. Here’s my repost:

1 Like

Jim, this is a fine, close look at this salamander. I like that it’s head is raised. That adds a good sense that it’s alive and alert. Given how sharp and how much detail you’ve got it it’s body, I surprised that parts of the tail look just a touch soft, but that’s a very minor nit on a neat shot.