‘Sun’ flower & repost

Description: trying to get the sun with the sunflower!

Specific Feedback Requested: Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D3400, 18mm, 1/200, f/22, ISO 100, slightly cropped

Recrop …

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Very nice! Sun stars are not easy and you got a good one here. It is well placed in an interesting arrangement of the leaves and flower. I think you could burn in the green area in the LL corner, to the same black as the shadowed part of the leaf.

Thanks @Diane_Miller. I’ll have to see if I can do that, not quite sure…

Great job with the sunstar Vanessa, f22 really did the trick. You also did very well to avoid flare here too. There are several things that I like about this image. The radial pattern of the sunstar is repeated in the shapes of the leaves. And the rim light on the hairs of the stem are just gorgeous, they look awesome. I love shooting in backlight, and this a great subject to do that with.

My only suggestion here is to make a slight crop from the bottom, cropping to just below where those two leaves cross each other in the LRC.

1 Like

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk for looking and your feedback, I’m glad you like it and think it works! Thanks also for your crop suggestion, I think it looks a lot better with that crop…what do you think?…

I like the crop.

Next time zoom with your feet, and get closer to your subject. It often simplifies things.

I guess I could have zoomed with the camera, I actually probably have another better placed sunflower photo but not the perfect sun star. Those aren’t easy to do especially when the sun is rising, it moves faster than you think and then you see stars for the next few hours! Well, at least I do! I’m probably not going about it the safest way. :slight_smile:

This is a bit like Who’s on First - lol.

I like the image for all the reasons stated. It’s bold and brash and the backlight works nicely with that type of shot. Great sunstar, too.

But I think Ed means physically zoom - stand closer. Yes, a zoom lens is a nice thing, but moving your body through and around a scene is a way to see, angle, include and eliminate. I find it very effective and have to remind myself to do it sometimes.

1 Like

Exactly what I meant Kris.

Glad you like it @Kris_Smith and I did understand what @Ed_McGuirk meant but I meant my only option would have been to zoom the camera, I guess unless he meant getting on my tip toes, which I didn’t think he would want me to be more unstable than I already am without a tripod! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: