Sunfish Drifting

Hi Folks,
I’ve been pretty absent lately. Work has been busy and I’m still nursing my broken wrist (cast is off, but I can’t really rotate or flex my wrist…physical therapy is underway, but slow going).

I’m still hooked on ICM with an abstract expressionist result. I’m torn between these two versions of the same subject, which I’m calling “sunfish drifting” because it reminds me of those brightly colored little guys I caught when fishing for bass back in the 70s.

Let me know what you think. My logical brain says that #1, the one with more blue on the left, is more balanced, but my eyes really prefer #2, and I’m thinking of a vertical print for the dining room, where my partner insists we not have coyotes, owls, or other things that would stare back at us, and not sublime mountains either. My last ICM involved the recycle bin, so that didn’t sit well either :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It’s a challenge.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Doe either of these strike you as especially pleasing for a long-term gander?

Any pertinent technical details:

Single image ICM

I like #1. The colors and blurring look so much like a beautiful watercolor. Nice job Marylynne.
Good wishes for a fast and continued wrist recovery

Lovely color! I’m liking #1 because of the balance and more blue on either side of the yellows. Maybe hang it vertically?

Hi Marylynne,

Glad you’re still doing the ICM. I am too, just not posting any…

I love the colors in both, although #1 is much better balanced and I do like the horizontal presentation. I can see this hanging in a medical office building.

The second one, if anything you may try flipping vertical. I think the heavy blue presence up top might work better as an anchor onthe bottom.

Actually, these don’t strike me as obvious ICM’s. Sure, a water color, but nothing in the image really speaks to motion. That’s not a bad thing, just an observation.

Keep 'em coming.

Lon

I like the first best, Marylynne - the orange/red elements give just a hint of warm mists floating against the blue ground. A nice experiment !

Thanks, folks. I like the flip ideas suggested. I’ll play with that.

Lon: in many ways this is ICM taken to an extreme. I use about 10-15 sec. with a 6 or ten stop filter and move the camera a lot. I’m not typically trying to capture a scene with movement so much as color patterns in an interesting distribution. I’ve used countertops and fruit, pillows and couch, recycling bins and trees. ICM usually reveals some details of the subject, In these I’m trying not to, so it definitely has a different feel.
ML

1 Like