Sunflower After the Rain

Yesterday morning was cloudy and misty up on the mountain, so I jumped in the car and headed up. Thinking I’d be doing macro flowers most of the morning, it turned out I was more into the landscapes and then after the rain, found some lovely flowers. This was one of them.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Olympus EM-1 Mark III
60mm f/2.8 Macro
1/200, f/5, ISO 400
Godox TT685 flash off camera with a soft box attached
Flash triggered by Godox XPro
Ambient at -1
Flash at -2/3

keithcbauer
1 Like

I like this shot Keith. The vertical orientation works well - everything is nicely balanced in the frame. Very nice background too. Well done.

Looks like a variety of sunflower - we have a lot of them up here, too and boy are they hard to shoot so bravo on this. I think using the flash was key to making it work - they move in the least breeze. I wish the leaf wasn’t converging with the bud, but what can you do? You are …dare I say it…Grand Master Flash.

Groan. Sorry.

Thanks @Kris_Smith . I think flash is one of the photographic tools that is probably one of the least understood, and also one of the most under utilized.

I do know a bit about flash, but if you want the REAL Grand Master Flash, it is Greg Basco. Greg is truly a real master and has a great flash e-book. Greg and I work together on workshops. Here’s a link to his flash e-book. I do not get any money from his sales, I just think this is a powerful resource.

Flash for the Nature Photographer

Looks like a comprehensive book for sure. I am curious about using flash so I might pick it up and a Godox as well. I have a new Shimoda backpack coming (from the Kickstarter campaign) and so I should be able to squeak in some extra field gear soon. Right now my bags are all pretty small and my primary backpack is almost 20 years old and reflected my more minimalist approach. Just what I need getting older - a heavier load!

1 Like

Looks pretty good, although I prefer all elements to be in focus. Stacking may have worked if there was no wind. The flash technique worked well and the yellow sunflower looks perfect against that dark BG. Well done…Jim