Sunrise Over Machapuchare, En Route to ABC

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Person first, or mountain first?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Technical Details

19mm, 1/160s, f4.5, iso 200
linear gradients applied

I sense a lonely trek over an icy, cold, uneven terrain by a single person. The landscape overwhelms the trekker but he/she pushes on. The image emphasizes the insignificance of man.

My eye is first pulled to the hiker but them goes to the mountain. I think the red jacket makes the hiker stand out, but ultimately the size and geometry of the mountain wins the attention competition. As @Paul_Hetzel observed, I think this is a nice commentary on our place as humans in the grand scheme of things.

Having the glacier attract most of the attention was my plan. Many observers over the years never saw the hiker, but as you noted, he (we) are the cause of the glacier shrinking. Thanks, Paul