Sunrise

Description: While trying to photograph some uncooperative and feisty hummingbirds, I glanced to my right and saw the sun fighting through the morning fog and clouds. Our local landscape rarely produces something dramatic so I vented my frustrations on the sun.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D850 + 600mm f4 + 1.4 TC=850mm (1/250 sec at f25, ISO 250), Levels, Luminosity mask on brights with curve adjustment, I also adjusted the overall contrast with a slight increase in the slope of the curve, followed with some minor tweaks with Brightness & Contrast. I cropped for composition as there was not enough of the tree tops to justify leaving them in the frame. Thanks for looking.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Well, your frustrations paid off, Jim. This is terrific. I love that the sun isn’t blown out due to the fog obviously. I also really like the warm tones. And the comp is spot on. Congrats!

1 Like

Super! More detail than we usually see in shots like this. I love that the darker shrouds of fog end before the top of the frame.

1 Like

I like the overall feel of this image. Very nice. Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like

This is a beautiful and unique sunrise image! Glad you glanced over to see it!

1 Like

Well this is very unusual and interesting. The way the fog and clouds have created mottled shapes on the sun almost make this look like craters on the moon instead. Very cool, thanks for sharing Jim.

1 Like