Surface tension

In September I have spent two weeks in the western part of Härjedalen, Sweden, one week of day hikes and one week participating in a photo workshop. I will post some images from these weeks: This image is from a small pond close to the hotel we where staying at.

Explanation added based on comments below: The leaves are not resting perfectly flat on the water surface, some parts of the leaves has sinken into the water. The water surface is then locally not flat, instead it has a curvature and an inclination. Hence, the sky will not reflect into the camera for these areas, making them black. The title “Surface tension” has been chosen due to these areas.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
f/16, 1/125, ISO 200, 300 mm (600 mmm equiv.)

2 Likes

you don’t often see pond lilies photographed when their at the end of their lives. It has a sad mood about it which is also not usual with these plants. But everything must return from whence it came. I think I’d like it better if it were one or two isolated leaves without the stem, but that can’t be helped. The deep darkness of the water adds to the mystique.

Lovely! I love the geometry of the stems and I absolutely adore the surface tension features. Perhaps cooling off the water just a tad would give this more depth. Just a bit, though.

This is an intriguing image. When viewing the thumb nail it looks like leaves on a vertical stem coming from the ground but then the image reveals itself following a closer inspection. Well seen!

I do have a question though. The water has an appealing haze to it but there are small patches that are smooth and dark. What’s causing those patches?

A cool find, but like @Nathan_Klein, I’m confused by the dark areas and having trouble visualizing the surface. (But that makes me look longer, so not necessarily a criticism.)

@Diane_Miller, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Kris_Smith and @Nathan_Klein thasnks for your kind comments.

Regarding the black areas, I have added an explanation at the top.

Agree, I will try that.

Great explanation of this scene and I’m really enjoying looking at this. Beautifully photographed, Ola!

The photo must be seen enlarged and then I like it very much. I have experimented the tension created in the water surface by these leaves. An original and creative image that I love Ola.

@Nick_Bristol and @Giuseppe_Guadagno thanks for your kind comments!