Survival Mode (Captive)

This is a Red Wolf female and mother in the Species Survival Plan at Wolfhaven International. The plywood box that serves as a den and chain link fence combined with the expression had a deep impact on me when I pulled up this image. There is currently no planned reintroduction of this species to the wild.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I didn’t do much but crop and use Topaz detail to bring out fur texture, but any comments are welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything. Is the post in the lower right OK?

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 421 mm, hand held, f/6.3, I/1000, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 13.4 MP. Taken at 11:36 am on March 25th.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Fantastic expression, superb detail and well composed. This is a beautiful animal.

I think I can relate to your feelings, Dennis - that is a very powerful expression, a combination of intelligence and loneliness. It is, regrettably, probably best not to try to reintroduce the species, as there is little “wild” left for them to thrive, and they will never be safe from the only animals who kill for the sake of killing (us). If they have sufficient room to “be wolves” in a man-made sanctuary, then the well-being of the individual is, for me, more important than the dicey survival of the species in their historic habitat.

A very striking expression you caught Dennis. Her surroundings document the current state of the species quite well.