Sweet Dreams (of juicy impala?)

I hadn’t paid much attention to this photo until a friend mentioned how much she liked it, which caused me to give it some more attention. I guess I was so focused on capturing/showing some interesting wildlife behavior that I sort of ignored something as mundane as sleeping.

No crop, hand held. Decreased exposure on the tree and the opening in the tree above to focus attention on the leopard. Also cloned a bit of the tree into the lower left hand corner to remove distracting elements (leaves & branch). Increased contrast on the leopard slightly.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II with Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
1/640, f/8.0, ISO 2000, 400mm

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Marc! I’m glad you posted this. It’s a good behavior image and tells a good story too. The young leopard is well captured with good lighting, color and detail. The bright background is a bit distracting but not too much. Nice work!

Cool shot Marc - probablyly resting after a fine meal :slight_smile:
Nice that you are trying to get the viewer to focus on the leopard’s face - by that same token, I would consider toning down the bright areas of the sky coming through the trees

Thank you Steve. Much appreciated!

Thanks for the feedback Karl! I did bring those highlights down a bit already, but maybe I should go a little further.

I brought down the exposure on the area coming through the trees. I still find that area a little distracting, but not sure there is much more I can do, and maybe I’m too focused on it?

Better, worse or same opinion as before?

Unfortunately the toned down sky is still a bit distracting - you may want to try cloning , if you are OK with those methods for nature images

I like this sleeping beauty, nicely placed between branches.
I agree with Karl you may burn the bright sky and I find the blacks heavy, you may reduce them.