Symmetry

I found this perfect reflection at a small pond that was a short hike off the Icefields Parkway in Jasper National Park Canada. I loved the geometry of this reflection, with all the repeating shapes and lines. The blue cast in the water is from glacial silt. Maybe I’ll get back here some day after Covid…

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D Mk3, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens at 176mm, ISO 100, 0.6 sec at f11

Rework with crop from right as suggested by Igor

6 Likes

This one really works for me, Ed. The key point about the symmetry is excellent in this reflective scene… :+1:

Really nicely seen, Ed! Are these cliffs that come right up next to the water? Sounds like a really neat place!

This is a very nice and calm small scene. I like that the reflection line is not fully horizontal and that you have avoided the green areas to come to much into play. No suggestions for improvement. And the blue color in the reflection is a bonus, contrasting somewhat the colors of the Stone wall. Well seen and captured.

The Canadian Rockies is a great place. I visited there before becoming a hobby photographer. Have to go back there to take some decent images!

Wonderful image Ed. I like it’s graphic quality. I might try a crop just to the left of the round boulders near the far right. Everything’s going left right and they’re going up down. I think.

Great reflective image Ed. Symmetry and diagonals really make this composition.

Classic composition but works really well, Ed. Is it just me or does the image need just a little bit of CW rotation?

1 Like

Hi @Ed_McGuirk, What a great scene! Such a beautiful abstract. You did a great job balancing the image out from side to side. You didn’t cut off any of the interesting features on the sides and the big "hole’ is well placed on the left third. I really like how you have that diagonal line going into the bottom left corner of the image,

Since it is so symmetrical, and symmetry creates a feeling of tranquility, I’d like to see the horizon like level. This will add to the tranquil feeling.

Other than that I think going to a 2:1 or 16:9 aspect ratio will also enhance the image. Just don’t lose that beautiful diagonal line!

The symmetry and diagonals make for an excellent abstract Ed.

@Vanessa_Hill @Mario_Cornacchione @Ola_Jovall @Paul_Breitkreuz @Adhika_Lie @Michael_Torkildsen @Eva_McDermott @Igor_Doncov

thank you all for your comments, I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

I thought I had got this level originally. So I threw this into Photoshop and laid a grid on it, and it looks level to me on the left and the center. From where I shot this, the cliff to the right is angling away, which I think creates the optical illusion of it not being level. Igor I think you make a good point about cropping the far right. And this would make the rest of the image appear more level too. Rework with crop posted back up top.

2 Likes

I really like the recrop even better!

I like all the versions. It has your light written all over it. That’s the main thing.

Love this type of image, Ed. I wish we had rocks like this in Florida! Actually, I prefer your original crop, I wondered what it would look like if the water was darkened just a bit. I played with that idea and I kind of like it, but that’s subjective, of course.

@Tony_Kuyper @Bill_Chambers

thanks for your comments, I appreciate hearing your thoughts. Bill I like your idea of taking the water darker, I think it emphasizes the strong patterns in the top half even more. Thanks for the suggestion.

Both version works for me, but if I had to chose one (glad it’s not the case) I will chose the croped.
Very balanced, very soft, “more direct”.