Tawny Owl

Although I am not a fan of heavily cropped images, I could not resist showing this one. Over the weekend I found no less than 4 different adults and 4 chicks within 5 minutes cycling distance (yes, I’m Dutch :wink: ) from my doorstep. Thanks for viewing and have a nice Sunday, Cheers, Hans

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Can you tell that this is such a huge crop?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D850 with 500mm f4 | 1/500s | f5.6 | ISO560 | overexposed 1 2/3 EV | tripod. This is 35% of the original image

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Wow! Sounds like the owl gods were smiling on you. Great capture.

Hans, such a cute owl. That is one photogenic hole, too! I am thinking more at the top and less at the bottom? I think that darker spots just outside the hole at the lower left corner distracts from the owl a little bit.

35% of the 46MP D850 is still a mighty 16MP file, Hans. That’s a minor crop from my 20.4MP camera! :smiley:

The crop isn’t really showing at web resolution, Hans. I’ve gone under 10% with an image where I really nailed the focus and if you don’t tell anyone, they’d never know because web resolution is so relatively coarse.

This is a really nice image. The hole frames the owl so nicely and the half closed eyes work very well. I’m glad this species is doing so well.

The crop works fine at web size. The truth comes out when you try to print it!
Great catch and sweet owl. Wonderful hole and 1/2-closed eyes. Could use more room on the right, but there was probably something ungainly there that you didn’t want to include.
Sandy

Nice capture Hans! I like the framing of the tree hole and to me the subject is well placed. The body seems a tad bit sharper than the head to me.