Tayra

I thought I had posted this image here previously, but realized the previous post was another shot from the sequence.

I encountered this tayra during last year’s Costa Rica tour. Tayras are mustelids (members of the weasel family) that are very adept at climbing trees. They’re omnivorous, but in my rare encounters with them they’re usually going for fruit. This one was going after those spiky fruits at the top of this Panama rubber tree. I have seen tayras in both Central and South America, but they’re typically fleeting encounters, and I’ve actually seen more jungle cats over the years… so I was pretty stoked to have this one hang around for us over an extended period.

I knew pretty quickly that this scene had some appealing elements, if I could just get the tough exposure right. The branches, leaves and fruit emanating from behind the subject made for a nice pattern. It wasn’t until later (after I had posted the previous image here, in fact), that I determined that the tayra’s pose in this image was much better than the other photo I was initially enamored with. The outstretched paw gives it much better balance overall, IMO.

Anyway, someone else apparently liked it, as the photo was honored in the Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition recently. I’m glad to be able to introduce a new, wider audience to this awesome critter.

Canon 1DXII
Canon 600mm
ISO 640
1/320th
f/6.3

Max

4 Likes

Congratulations …super !!! Had seen this at the WPY list !!!

Balan Vinod

1 Like

Max: congratulations on another well deserved award winner. Richard

1 Like

Max, congratulations! It is a well deserved win. You really managed the lighting well. Love all the colors and shapes of the leaves. He was giving you the look. You had his attention.

1 Like

Max,
What’s not to appreciate about this image, all the elements come together so very well and your handling of the exposure is masterful. The color pallet is my favorite part of the composition.

1 Like

Heartiest congratulations Max , it’s a big win ! I very well remembered your earlier post.
The final result looks like combination of photo and illustration.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks, everyone! I’m currently back in Yellowstone on the lookout for some of the tayra’s mustelid cousins (happy to have seen one already)!

Max

Great photo, Max! It’s an excellent capture of the animal and the radial branches make it special. Congratulations on the recognition!