The Abyss

On a foggy day along the hiking trail PR1 from Pico do Arrieiro to Pico Ruivo on the island of Madeira (Portugal). The path follows a ridge with deep abyss on both sides. If you suffer from giddiness, that’s not the place to be. The day was foggy, and we were driving through thick fog up to the trailhead. But exactly at the highest peak, the fog broke up and the sun came out. The whole trail went up and down and thus alternating through fog and sun. The lighting is not the best, but I hope I could capture the mood a bit.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Hi Katharina! WOW! That’s quite a trail! I would say you definitely captured the mood. It really makes me want to find this trail. Thanks for posting it!

Katharina, this is definitely a “PATH”. Your photo does a great job of showing the in and out of cloud aspect of what looks to be a very stimulating walk. How nice that at least part of the path was above the clouds. Your focus on the path works and the surrounding clouds works well here. As a minor detail, I wonder how some slight dodging of the dark cliff side would look. Right now that cliff is quite the looming presence, which may be exactly what you want to show.

Oh wow, Katharina, what a path, and what a shot. Kudos to you for being able to walk the trail, hold the camera study and apparently not be giddy. :billed_cap: off to you. Me, I would have not done so well on the trail. I love how the fog is on both sides of the trail, but the trail is clear. Excellent shot. :+1: :+1:

This has great atmosphere, Katharina, and the eye is led beautifully right across this somewhat treacherous-looking bridge to the distant rock. A striking image !