The Apple Hawkmoth

Here, in late June, the caterpillar of Langia zenzeroides bends over backwards to avoid detection on a wild peach tree. The adult will emerge next April. With a wingspan reaching 15cm, it is Korea’s largest hawkmoth.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500 + 105mm macro f14 1/500 ISO 2000

Slight cropping , Topaz Denoise, PS shadows and highlights

2 Likes

What a great disguise, Mike. It took me a minute to see the caterpillar it blends in so well. Wonderful detail and lighting. Very nicely seen and captured.

Wow! That’s amazing! It looks like a leaf! Nice capture!

Quite the camouflage he has, Mike. Amazing that you even saw him. Excellent details in him in his environment. Appreciate the info about him, for those of us that aren’t familiar. Great find and capture, in my opinion.

Great depiction of their camouflage although I find the green a bit overwhelming. Green channels get away from me sometimes, too, and using the color sliders tames them. You might get even more crisp detail if you give it a go. Hopefully you get to see a moth, too. I love those big ones.

Hi Mike,
Really nice macro with the caterpillar blending in with the leaf so well. Love the curvature of it too. Nice details - well done!

DSC_3785green-curves
@Kris_Smith Yes, a bit less green is better, I think.

1 Like

I believe toning down the greens did help, Mike.