The Beehive

A few posts back @Ed_McGuirk posted an image of a cluster of bog orchid which he mentioned had been a white whale of his which he was finally able to capture. Well here is a white whale of mine which I was able to cross off my list. You have to have three things align for you to get the shot. First off you need to be there at sunrise; for the warm light; then you need a high tide; for the reflection; all topped off with some clouds; for some visual interest and the reflection.

Up until this particular morning I had been able to have one or two elements, but never three. I finally got the trifecta!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 35 mm, f 16 @ 1/6 sec, ISO 100, MLU, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Awesome shot, Ed. I love the symmetry of the composition. Those spring greens rock and the morning glow on the Beehive’s granite face tops it off. I would suggest boosting levels a tad. JMHO
:vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute:

Good job here Captain Ahab :grinning: The Beehive even looks a little bit like a humpback whale here.

The light and clouds are really sweet here Ed, now I know why you said were excited about getting this shot. The light on those fresh green spring trees looks sublime. And to top it all off, it looks like you had no wind, and got a perfect reflection, usually the wind is always blowing pretty good along the seacoast in Acadia.

This is image is really sweet. My only suggestion for improvement would be to try for a very slight lift in the deeper shadows of the spruce trees along the shoreline, but that is getting really nitpicky, and this image is great as presented.

Beautiful, Ed. Great serene mood with the beautifully understated colors in the sky and the perfect reflection. Really sweet!

Everything works beautifully in sync, Ed - the mottled grey clouds, the cool greens and the muted browns of the rocks. Beautifully composed and executed.

Ed, a wonderful scene. The cloud cover has provided a peaceful dampening to the highlights. I really like the finished processing here especially the reflection. Very well done there as not to be too light or dark, just right…:+1:

Ed,

Quite a beautiful scene - very quiet and serene too with the reflection and the soft cloud cover. Happy for you this all came together for you!

Not quite sure how to tackle it, but my only suggestion would be to actually bring out the lovely early light on the mountain (I guess that’s the beehive?) And maybe bring some contrast or definition in to the upper sky. but those would be just tweaks and not a fix or a nit.

The symmetry of course works beautifully here.

Lon

Many thanks to @Michael_Lowe, @Ed_McGuirk, @Harley_Goldman, @Ian_Wolfenden, @Paul_Breitkreuz and @Lon_Overacker for taking the time to leave a thought; always appreciated. Here is a repost to hopefully address your suggestions.
@Ed_McGuirk: The Captain Ahab reference was hilarious and made me laugh. :grin:

1 Like

What a gorgeous scene. I prefer the original. The sky makes this image for me, and it’s reflections in the water. It’s handled with the gentleness that it requires.

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your thoughts @Igor_Doncov as they are always appreciated.

I like the symmetry and warm morning light Ed. Your repost looks great.