The Cold Foot Gang

The Mallards tend to show up in large numbers at Valdez, Alaska fairly early in the Spring. These Mallards arrived at the tide flats in the first week of April, 2018. The problem, that time of year, is that there is little or no dry land showing when the tide is high. If the ducks want to get out of the water they’re stuck with resting on the cold snow. These guys were enjoying the somewhat warm sun but it was obvious they were dealing with cold feet because they kept exchanging them and holding the cold foot in the air.

Sony a6500, FE100400GM @ 400mm, ISO-320, f/6.3, 1/3200, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Really wonderful photo Gary. I love the detail you have gotten in each one of the birds
and the variety of their various positions. I can just feel the coldness.

Wonderful, Gary. It’s perfect the way they all look like they’re trying to keep their feet off the ice.

Gary, the “action” here is great. The raised feet and the male quacking, while others nap shows a fine range of behaviors. Sounds like the Mallards are your “Robins”. :grinning:

Nice to see a group shot like this, Gary. What appeals most to me is how the various poses of the birds allow you such varied views of the feather patterns. The colours look good, too, against the white/greys of the backdrop.