The Enforcer

This Kestrel has been using the “This Area Closed” signs for perches quite religiously at one of our local refuges the last two or three years. When I was there last Thursday, I saw it way up ahead of me, but there was a car between us and it flew after they stopped to photograph it, landed on the next sign and flew again when they stopped. I gave up on it and had stopped to try (unsuccessfully) to photograph a Scrub Jay on the right side of the road. When it flew, I was about to start again when I looked out the driver’s side window and saw this lady perched on the sign across the road. Needless to say, I had fun playing with the sign. I stole the Kestrel outline from another image in the series with a better profile.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Any pertinent technical details:

Sony a6500, FE200-600 @ 600 mm, f/8, 1/640, iso 1250, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Kestrel outline taken from another image of the series. Blue color is the original used in the refuge signs. Cropped to 4265x3198. Taken at 10:49 am on December 3rd.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Fun photo Dennis. . .and very nicely done. Kestrel outline is a nice fun touch.

Really nice shot, Dennis. These guys are very skittish, I find. Wonderful details.

Good job in getting close enough for such fine detail. I agree with Shirley, they are very skittish and hard to sneak up on. With the sign, it’s a fun shot, but with the nice background and excellent detail, too bad the perch wasn’t more aesthetic.

This lady really loves those signs for perches. The only other places I’ve seen her are a patch of teasel quite a bit further, but within acceptable camera distance and a clump of bushes way off that she really likes.

Very fun image, I like it!!!

Completely wonderful!! Not only fun but a simply gorgeous capture of the bird and a lovely BG.

Like I said, we need to bring our own perch setup and put it on the post the next time we go,
Excellent color, detail, and BG. Perch, not so much…