The flipside

Here is the father of the juvenile that I posted the other day. The two of them have been spending a fair amount of time in my neighborhood and this was also shot through an open bedroom window. Not quite as much crop but probably close to 25% of full frame.

Specific Feedback Requested
perhaps it would be a better crop without the orange feather but I used it to balance the red plumage on the face.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 100, 400+1.4 X, F7 .1, 250th. Yeah I was playing with my new Godox flash and had yet to figure out how to get the high-speed sync to work.

3 Likes

Another beautiful portrait, David. The dark green from the distant firs really sets this bird off nicely.

I really like this one, too. I wonder if the juvenile was shot with some smoke in the air and the adult without it. The color of the sun ( I assume it is the sun) reflected in the eyes seems to indicate this or is it just different times of the day. Our air over here has been registering hazardous on the scale (408 today) so not getting out much. Anyway, two great photos.

Not much smoke here but this is normal juvenile color I think…

Another window bird, nice to be so close…Flickers have so many striking features, streaks, bars , dots, mustaches, coloring…I like the nice close look at the long strong bill.

What a thrill to be able to have them so close - I love these birds, although I only saw them briefly myself. Well done, as always. Cheers, Hans

A lovely portrait with perfect pose, lighting and detail, and a gorgeous BG!