The Green Man Descending

Rework

I don’t really want to say too much about this image. What I would like to know is the extent to which it impacts you emotionally (if at all). Of course, any feedback technical or otherwise that you might have to offer would be, as always, much appreciated.

Is this a composite: No

For me, Green Man has descended and is down and will soon (in nature’s time), become nourishment for others to follow and descend as has he in the cycle of life. Very provocative image. Excellently seen.

I love the title. I can clearly see the “Green Man”. I think there may be too much Orton Effect but it does force you to focus on the downed tree. The curved, leaning tree above the downed green man looks to be bent over the fallen green man in an attempt to help him back up. The stick laying on the right side of the green man looks like an arrow that has pierced his midsection and the left hand is reaching over to try and grab the arrow to remove it. This is maybe an overactive imagination and I don’t know if anyone else sees this or not but I love the title and it sure makes me think. I think the most emotional image I have seen in a long time is @Igor_Hoveijn image that he posted in his favorites set (the third image of the family of trees). That image struck an emotional chord immediately with me with no title or anything. This image may not have struck quite that save nerve without the title leading the way for me but it sure gets you to thinking. Very creative Kerry!

Well, this is an evocative image, with some strong emotional impact. I do see the green man, and that is a great title too !! But whether the viewer sees this as the Green Man or not, there is still a strong story here about the end of a season (fallen leaves), and the end of the life of the Green man (or tree if you see that instead). I still can’t decide if the curved branch is the green mans arm reaching up in a last gasp, or whether its a slow motion effect type thing that shows the trajectory of the Green Mans fall. But that’s what I like about this image, it sparks the viewers imagination.

I think a strong Orton works to simplify the background. I find it distracting really only in the foreground leaves. I might try slightly burning and de-saturating the leaves in the lower left in front of the green mans head. I would also clone away the bright branch along the right frame edge 2/3’s of the way up.

@Jim_Gavin, @David_Haynes, @Ed_McGuirk. Thank you all for taking a second look and I appreciate your response. FYI - I didn’t use the Orton Effect at all in this image - this is my own, from-scratch gumbo. As usual, I appreciate your technical advice, Ed. I did remove the branch (kinda minor) but your suggestion to lower the saturation helped to solve a problem I wasn’t quite able to diagnose. I’ve posted the minor changes above.