The Jump

Trails are starting to open up here in SoCal and I went out to check on a site where great horned owls have been nesting in the past few years. The babies are fledged now but the parents are still doing the hunting for them so they are still sticking close to the parents. I was lucky to grab this frame when it was not completely dark. But even then the wings are slightly blurred, which I am okay with given this is a flight shot. As always, I am open to all feedback.

D5, 500mm, f/4.5, 1/1000, ISO 6400

@adhikalie

2 Likes

Excellent flight shot with the owl coming at you. Good facial detail. I also like the setting, the way the needles frame the owl; for me it adds a lot to the photo.

Wonderful photo of the owl Adhika. I truly admire how you’ve managed to capture him in flight with such an expressive look in his eyes. Great capture.

Oh wow, what a shot, Adhika. Love that you captured him coming at you. He has that determined look on his face, like, “I have to get dinner for those hungry young ones”. He doesn’t even seem to notice that you are there. Glad to hear that you were able to get out and shoot.

I can’t believe you caught this owl in this setting. Heckuva flight shot. I love everything about it except the limb coming out of the bird’s head. The owl’s is nice and sharp, love those eyes, and I personally like blurred wingtips. I’d experiment with any filter that might blur that limb just a touch. Looking forward to more.

Boy, you really nailed this one. I don’t usually pay much attention to avian photography but this one feels special to me. The colour palette is outstanding and I love the way the spread of his wings perfectly mirrors the spread of the branches. Outstanding.

Incredible work! I can feel as if I am there. The level of richness and depth in the colors here is quite impressive. I don’t believe a high megapixel camera can recreate color this well. Detail yes, but not the color. One of your best!

This is excellent Adhika. I like the framing and the wing and head positions. The only thing I would suggest is to bring the owl exposure up just a tiny bit. Very much would make it look unnatural, but I think it could stand just a touch more to make it pop without looking too artificial (a judgement call, of course).

Thanks, @Allen_Brooks, @linda_mellor, @Shirley_Freeman, @Lyle_Gruby, @Kerry_Gordon, @David_Schoen, and @Dennis_Plank!

Me, too. I wish I could take credit for it but this is pure luck. After three times going to their preferred tree, I estimate that I spend 80% of my time looking for openings to shoot these guys from below. It’s pretty rewarding when this kind of image happens.

One of the most attractive features of owls, in my opinion, is their eyes. And in a way, this image also works better because it’s a great horned owl that has yellow corneas.

This is actually one of the young ones, Shirley. I am pretty sure this one is the oldest of the three babies this year judging from how much more firm his steps and flights are. The youngest one seems to be very timid. After his two siblings fly to another tree, the youngest one just stare at them longingly. I am glad I am able to start shooting again. I hope you are doing well, Shirley!

Lyle, this is my hesitation about the image, too. Probably worth the time making a careful selection there and brightening it up a little bit? It looks hard, though! :smiley:

Yes, to this, as well. I think the fact it is parallel to the wing span help to make the background to appear “less busy.” Thanks for stopping by here, Kerry. I am glad you enjoy the image!

David, I have been going back and forth between the D5 and the D500 now. Admittedly I love the reach with the D500 but I cannot replicate the responsiveness of the D5 and the quality of the RAW file. I also find the larger pixel size results in sharper images.

Good suggestion, Dennis. I think even a touch more separation between the owl and the BG will pay off tremendously. I will play with this a bit. Thanks for the idea!

1 Like