The Lace skirt + repost

Detail of my Physalis, which was decaying in my garden pot. The almost lace-like structure caught my eye, so I grabbed my macro lens and extension tubes, and started shooting my model. Used a gold reflector as well.

And based on many suggestions here a square crop as well:

Hi Katharina, your photograph is certainly interesting and well-named. I’m not familiar with the flower but it does remind me of Japanese Lantern flowers, which have a lace-like framework also. I like your choice of focus area; the red background really draws the eye to it and its fun to explore the structure throughout the image. Nicely done and thanks for sharing.

@Jim_Lockhart: thank you! A JApanese (or Chinese) lantern plant is exactly what you see here. Physalis is the scientific name.

Katharina, your sharp view of the lacy structure looks great. The red background sets that off very well. I’ve spent some time looking and thinking about how much oof leaf is on the right. I’m having mixed feelings. I like that it creates a sense of finding the beauty hidden in the details but wonder if a square crop would maintain that sense while adding emphasis to the lace and the red parts behind…

Katharina, I am sorry I have been slow to commenting. My husband is in the hospital (heart related), so I have had a lot going on. Your beautiful image here, with what looks like a heart behind the lace, just was such a blessing when I opened it. I am not familiar with the plant, but the way you placed that red, and it’s shape, draws the eye in nicely. I agree with Mark about maybe trying a square crop to lose the out of focus area on the right side, as it doesn’t add to the image. Great image.

Fascinating structure here. Good colors. I’m with Mark and Shirley on this one. But I like it.

Katharina: I do think a crop from the right would help this a bit but the strong subject and details in the lacey structure carry the day for me. I’ve found leaf “skeletons” to be marvelous subjects and you’ve done really well here. Top notch shot. >=))>

@Jim_Lockhart, @Mark_Seaver, @Shirley_Freeman, @David_Schoen, @Bill_Fach
Thank you all for your kind feedback! As suggested by many, I have uploaded a square crop. I can see the benefits of getting rid of the oof areas, but on the other hand the skirt-like shape is not so prominent in the square format. I need to choose a different title now ;-))
Thanks again
Katharina

Katharina: Certainly a different image and a fine one. It’s good to have a subject that gives you options and good on you for exploring them. :+1: :+1:>=))>

A very nice job of capturing the very fine lace like structure and bg red adds some lovely contrast. My preference would be for the cropped version although both stand out on their own.