The Last Maple Leaf

This is just a small detail in a little nondescript creek in Whiskeytown Park. The leaf was quite forlorn, but beautiful. I wanted to show the creek flow, but not have it compete with the leaf, so I went with a longer shutter speed.

Specific Feedback Requested

Is the rock/leaf too large in the frame? I feel like it might be a tad too big.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 186mm, f/16, 0.3s, ISO 100.

1 Like

Hey Bonnie, this may not be what you are looking for, but I am actually really drawn to the areas surrounding the rock/leaf! Your choice in shutter speed shows just enough so I know what is there and I want to see more, not in a bad way, it is making me look more closely!

Bonnie, this is a very enjoyable image to look at. I too really like to texture in the water; it contrasts well with the texture in the leaf. To me, this forlorn leaf tells a quiet but powerful story. I can imagine it being whipped around in the current until it found the rock, barely hanging on and worn out from the maelstrom.

In terms of your requested feedback, I think the leaf is a good size in the frame—large enough to see the texture and detail while still allowing enough negative space from the surrounding water. Thank you for sharing!

I actually agree with David in that I am actually much more drawn to the textures under the water than I am the rock and the leaf. However, I can also see that the leaf has endured much before it came to rest on this rock where it appears to be clinging for dear life as the water wraps around the rock. To answer your question, I think the rock and leaf size is just about right.

Another vote for the leaf/rock size being good. I also agree with @David_Wallace that the look of the water is the more appealing aspect of the image. The water has a very painterly look (no surprise coming from you). On the other hand, I think the image without the rock (ie all water) would not work as well, so you need the rock to supplement the water. Together they are harmonious.

Bonnie, this looks great. Your ss choice is perfect for softening the water but not obscuring what’s below. The tonal match between the water and the stone/leaf works well also. The size of the rock and it’s placement work very well.

Thank you, @David_Wallace , @Adam_Bolyard , @David_Haynes , @Ed_McGuirk , and @Mark_Seaver for your thoughts. I have more from this creek, of just water textures and colors, that I’m still working on, which I’ll probably post up eventually (or maybe just go back - it’s not far from home).