The Morning After the Storm

Autumn 2020 photo project taken 10/31/20 in Wellesley Hills Massachusetts

On the day before Halloween, eastern Massachusetts had an October surprise, a record 5 inches of snow. The next day, Halloween morning dawned sunny and very cold. I managed a few more shots of snowliage trees in shade before the sun came up. But I was desperately looking for a spot were I could find a good tree with snow covered leaves that I could photograph backlit as the sun came up. This composition was a bit busy, but it was the best that I could find as the sun rose. This was my Halloween Treat, no Trick involved other than stopping down to f22 to get a sunstar.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique or comments are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
This image is a blend of 3 exposures for dynamic range,

Canon 5D MK4, Canon 24-70mm lens, at 35mm, ISO 100, 1/60 sec at f22.

Rework reflecting comments, including a crop from the right, and slightly dodging the right.

9 Likes

Ed, You say your image is a bit busy. It makes me a bit dizzy, beautiful. No nits.

Well this is different! I don’t know if it’s better than all the fog/tree images but because it’s so different it seems better. Actually, this is more creative and more personal so I think it is better. It seems to be chaotic but the sun holds it all together nicely. The blue snow at the very bottom seems pretty strong but I like it. I think that due to it’s complexity this type of image can grow on you with time. Many things to explore and the findings bring up thoughts and memories.

1 Like

Very different stuff from you Ed! At first, I thought it was just too chaotic but the more I kept looking at it, the more you need the chaos in this image for it to work. The sun star is just about perfect. Nicely done. On the smaller thumbnail, it looked just like a sunflower with the gold rim around it. The backlit yellow leaves really pop and are, in your face bright! It works. The right side of the image is a little bit heavy to me but it contrasts nicely with the lighter and brighter left side and after looking at this for a while it works too. The branches going in all different directions adds to the uncontrolled chaos, but it all just seems to work.

And it has Halloween colors! Gorgeous. I do think the right side is a bit heavy - cropping off to the edge of the drooping branch might give a better balance. There is a lot of busy detail, but you’ve placed enough structural elements in the frame to balance the details.

I’m a sucker for warm and cool colors combined in a image and this has them in abundance. Great job. Small nit is the right side seems a little heavy but no biggie. :+1:

Busy, yes, but it is so well controlled, Ed! That sunstar is gorgeous as is the lovely backlighting and the glow on those yellow autumn leaves is just magical. I could see a little crop from the right as it is a little heavy, but certainly not a biggie. I also like the combination of warm and cool tones in the scene as it makes for an inviting image. I am really enjoying this.

Ed,

Not much new to add to the previous comments. I do think this holds and the different elements add to the interest. I also agree that a slight crop from the right would be a minor improvement. Gotta love that lens of yours for sunstars!

@Ben_van_der_Sande @David_Haynes @Alan_Kreyger @Igor_Doncov @Ed_Lowe @Michael_Lowe @Bonnie_Lampley

thank you all for comments and input, I appreciate it. I agree about the right side and have posted a rework back up top with a crop from the right. I also dodged the right side to reduce its heaviness as well. One thing Canon lenses are known for is the appealing shapes of their sunstars

The back lit snow and leaves make this a striking image Ed. I like your reworked post since it looks more balanced.

I like it overall, but the blue channel seems really overcooked to me. That’s all I can look at in either image.