The Painted Hills in Subdued Light

The Painted HIlls in Central Oregon. I took this shot after the light had faded.

Pertinent technical details or techniques to help others learn:

Taken handheld,steadied on the hood of my Jeep as an afterthought as I was contemplating leaving this incredible location. I used my Nikon D810 and my 70-200 f/2.8VR II - 1/100 sec w/VR - f/5.6 - ISO 800

If this is a composite please be honest with your techniques and share some details so others can learn:

Single Raw Exposure converted in Lightroom and finished in Photoshop.

4 Likes

I love the soft, directional light. Great afterthought!

Although the Painted Hills are a popular photo spot, I never tire of seeing images because of the almost unlimited number of compositions - especially when combined with lighting variations.

1 Like

Ace shot Gary! I quite like the general softness of the image it’s quite mesmerising. On a separate note it almost looks like the hills are ‘flowing’ into the frame and are about to engulf the bushes

1 Like

Gary: I am a rare visitor to the Landscape gallery, but this elicited a WOW from me. The rounded shapes and the tones are most appealing. Richard

1 Like

Lovely scene. Good job contemplating further :wink: Seems like a slight odd color cast in the fg…blue/green perhaps? Look forward to getting there one day.

aF

1 Like

I like the inclusion of the foreground here, Gary. It adds a lot of context to this scene, especially since I am not used to seeing this area with such green vegetation. Really nice!

1 Like

Exceptional light and comp.
Hard to stay late at this location. You earned it.

1 Like

Interesting light. I’ve shot this slope a few times but always with more prominent, yet still gentle shadows. I’ve never seen the grass as vibrant either. It has a nice glow to it.

1 Like

Sweet composition and processing!

1 Like

Thank you for the visit and the thoughtful comment. :slight_smile:

Hey Aaron. Thanks man. I appreciate your comment.

This was total blue hour, post sunset, and so I warmed up the WB in post. As a matter of fact it was almost dark. There are dead sticks in the sage that retain that blue cast. I calibrate my monitors with a Spyder 5 Pro and so I hope to catch any color errors but it’s hard to match all monitors. :slight_smile:

Thanks again Aaron. :slight_smile:

Sometimes establishing a base for an otherwise abstract scene gives some context to allow the viewer to actually interpret what they’re looking at. Thank you Sarah. I appreciate your kind comment. :slight_smile: