The Sentinel

Saw this Blue Dasher patrolling the milkweed patch the other day. It would come back to this perch so I was able to get progressively closer until I almost got the frame filled. Initially it did not like the flash but after a few shots it sat still for several images. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A77II
Sony 70-400GII with 1.4xTC
ISO 400, 1/13 @ f11, -1.7FF

1 Like

Bill, the DF is always fun to photograph. I have found that if I talk to them while getting closer and shooting, many of them let me get in pretty close. Some are very skittish though, and it doesn’t matter what you do, you can only get so close. You managed a nice look at him, and I love the position of his wings. That BG makes him stand out nicely.

What a lovely creature. Your patience was rewarded! Great details and pose with the wings in that position. I think they do that to warm up, but I could be wrong. The background sets it off so well. Am envious of your dragonfly whispering.

Fantastic photo, Bill. The detail in the dragonfly is outstanding. Very nicely seen and captured.

Hi Bill,

I like the color and sharpness of this blue dasher. You are quite sneaky being able to get close. Head and thorax have excellent sharpness…Jim

Wonderful detail and tonalities! If they are returning to the same perch I can usually manage to sneak closer when they are away, and sometimes in that interval I can clear away an undesirable reed using a long stick with a hook on the end.

As Shirley says, it’s very individual as to how close you can approach these dragonflies. This one let you get very close, for a fine look. It’s also somewhat surprising that it acclimated to the flash.