The shepherd and his herd

I came across this shepherd . Had a small conversation with him about the nature around us.
While we were talking his herd went away guarded by his dog.
That was no problem he said, the dog would do his work. After 5 minutes the herd was gone. And we were going our way.
A bit later that morning I met him again. He was lost his herd!
I hope he has found his sheeps again ?

Description:

Specific Feedback Requested: All feedback is more than welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques: F11, 1/320, Iso 800,24-70 at 40mm, handheld

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

A very pleasant scene. The herdsman has a nice pose, watching the sheep, and the setting is lovely.

I think the dog will lead the herd back to him – they are very intelligent and pride themselves on doing a good job. Several years ago near us a family had to run very quickly from huge wildfire. They had no time to save a group of sheep and left the pasture gate open in hopes they could escape the fire. The dog refused to come with them and they had to leave it with the sheep. After several days they could go back to see about the animals. Everything was destroyed, for miles around, but the sheep were back in their pasture, with the dog. And three deer. The dog had burns on his paws so he had done some work to save the sheep.

I have always like how luminous the backs of sheep look as light passes through the wool. I like that in this image. Especially with the soft light.

1 Like

This is a lovely rural image. The sheep are enclosed between the big tree on the left and the man on the right. There’s plenty to explore. The overcast, soft day has made for nice light.

1 Like

Beautiful, idyllic image. I love how the sheep are watching their shepherd. I guess except for when they wandered off! I hope they’re all reunited!