The Thaw

We had freezing fog yesterday morning, though it warmed up rather quickly when the sun popped up. As soon as I finished my morning chores, I grabbed the camera and tried for some frost macros. I think this one with the frost melting on an Oregon Grape leaf was my favorite of the morning.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I didn’t do a lot to this image, except a small amount of background cleanup. Do you see any anomalies from that?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I did rotate this image a bit for what I thought was a better composition-did it upset things? I think the droplet still looks reasonable, but others may not see it that way.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

5DIII, Canon 180 mm f/3.5 macro, tripod and ball head with cable release, f/25, 1/40, iso 1250, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Rotated and cropped (had to fill a couple of small triangles from the rotation).

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Hi,

I like the comp as presented. There’s some very slight softness (although not a deal breaker) related to diffraction from the f25 aperture along the edge of the leaf. The ice with higher contrast is nice and sharp. I like the reflection in the large piece of ice…Jim

Dennis, this looks great. The color and lines in the leaf stand out well. The ice bits tell a good story. The image of the house in the large ice bit and the small sunstar are excellent extras.

Very nice, Dennis. That ice droplet with the building in it is the icing on the cake. I am sure at 1/40 you were on a tripod, right?

Yup. I almost always use a tripod for macro.

1 Like

Hi Dennis, I like the texture and color of the leaf and the reflection of the house in the ice adds a point of interest. A well done macro.

1 Like

Dennis: Great find and a superb capture. I always look for complementary images in the refractions in the drops and the house is a good one. Not always easy getting that in the DOF range. >=))> :+1::open_hands: