The Throne Room

A friend took me to this beautiful spot a few months ago. The large Live Oak trees provided a canopy over a huge area. This view is just a small view of the entire area. Magnificent trees.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any and all comments, suggestions, and critiques welcomed.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Fiji GFX50S w/ 45-100 @ 45mm, 1/4 sec @ f/16, 200 ISO, Poloarizer
Tripod

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Ig -@ simplynatureart

Kris’ version

4 Likes

This canopy is telling me to come and find another world behind. The trunk in front keeps also pointing in there direction. Story making nature in a grand image. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

These are indeed magnificent trees, and the light on them isn’t too bad either :grinning:

The arching shapes of the trees are very dynamic, you have arranged the placement of the tree perfectly. The fallen limbs in the foreground are the key to taking this image up a notch beyond a portrait of trees. The add depth, they fill negative space, and they introduce a story telling aspect to the image as well. Great image all around Bill.

My only nitpick suggestion would be to add a ting sliver more breathing space at the bottom, the limb in the LLC might benefit from slightly more space below it. But this is a minor nit on an otherwise fine image.

1 Like

Wow. Love the presentation especially the foreground. The serpentine trees are a beautiful focal point in center and the texture of the leaves really adds as well. Really enjoy looking at this image.

1 Like

A gorgeous canopy of trees. You comp does an excellent job of inviting me to step in and explore. Excellent image and no nits here.

1 Like

A great image, Bill. The arching trees, the light and the old and new leaves make up a great scene composition-wise and regarding colors The tree limb in the FG together with the light in the BG adds depth and interest. It is avery inviting image, I immediately felt that I wanted to be there. Very well seen and captured.

1 Like

Pretty jaw-dropping, Bill. I can imagine a little of the wonder you must have felt being in the presence of these beauties. I brought it into Photoshop and did just a tiny bit of burning around the upper corners of the canopy. It was to emphasize the opening back into the farther trees and to emphasize the arching branches in the center. I hope you don’t mind. It’s so enchanting. I love it. Print it and hang it!

1 Like

Great image Bill
I’m in SC right now and wish I could fine a way to demonstrate the magnificence and complexity of Live Oak trees. They have so much to say, but their language is difficult for me.

I really like the foreground too, despite it being a fence to jump over, it’s not really obstructive as there is so much going on beyond.

Only feedback for you is twofold
one would be the crop. The primary 2 central trunks and arching family of trees occupy all but ~20% of the image. I’d be tempted to center the 2 primary trees and let the other family members support those two with greater symmetry. And I think you could get away with a crop from the L. side in:re to the foreground branches too.

The contrast in the center of the image is a bit low for my eye. I see highlights in there, but the shadows are a bit bright for my eye. This is gives it somewhat of an “HDR” look to me, but again this may be your intent.

1 Like

The background is in a way very architectural. By that I mean a series of Roman arches as you would see in a cathedral. I like the foreground but believe an images of the arches could be superior. For this image I would either burn in that brighter vertical branch in the upper left center. I really like the two white trees at the very back though. The leaf litter adds a lot to the overall image.

1 Like

Thank you to @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Ed_McGuirk, @Mario_Cornacchione, @Harley_Goldman , @Ola_Jovall, @Kris_Smith, @Jim_McGovern, and @Igor_Doncov for your critiques and suggestions. As always, your constructive advice is greatly appreciated.

Very nice, Bill. I sort of like the burned version a little better, but even were it not an option, this would be a beautiful image.

1 Like

Very nice Bill. Normally, I would find that foreground log to be a distraction or a barrier to the flow of the image, but it fits so well into the composition. I prefer your original version that doesn’t have the extra vignetting.

1 Like