The trap is set

Continuing with my spiders doing stuff series -

I found this tiny spider on the stairs railing and liked the way it was situated so I got the macro rig with the LED panel. IRL it’s quite slim and tiny - about 2cm with the legs. Also IRL it appears to be just black and yellow, but these colors showed up when I deepened the blacks in Lightroom and so I left them rather than desaturate in the color panel. Try as I might, an ID eludes me. It looks like a common garden spider (only really small), but the web is different. Just went to look at it now, so more shots are possible.

Specific Feedback Requested

Are the colors that came up too unnatural looking? Would you have known if I didn’t tell you?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld w/the LED panel while braced on the steps.

Ran through ON1 Denoise - manually adjusted down from auto High setting and increased sharpness & detail. Into Lr for a crop and some dehaze to emphasize the web, white & black points and some texture. Pulled green saturation down.

@the.wire.smith

Oh wow, Kris, this is really nice. The focus is right where it is needed. The web shows up nice against the smooth green background too. Very nice. I have no idea the ID for him. Since I am unfamiliar with this spider, I have no idea what the colors are supposed to be, but it looks natural to me.

Hi Kris, lovely composition - I really like the web you show with that smooth green background. As Shirley states, the critical focus is spot on the spider’s head. Nice job!

Cool spider! No clue about ID so it looks believable to me. Amazing how its hanging onto the web! What happens when it needs to move?